Aller au contenu

WireGuard in Proxmox LXC :: Nix vs Evil —

Ldfa

Messages recommandés

WireGuard has risen in popularity over the last year or so with several adoptions by commercial VPN services. Its simplicity and speed make it a great choice for a private VPN replacement and having recently been accepted into the net-next maintainer tree for inclusion in an upcoming kernel, I figured now was a good time to give it a try. So, I retired my Raspberry Pi running PiVPN at home and instead set up a LXC in Proxmox to tunnel all my mobile devices through. I was able to find several guides floating around the net but none of them covered exactly what I wanted to do. Having to jump between several browser tabs to piece together all the information is a pain, so I decided to write this up for anyone else who might find it useful. Here is a (hopefully complete) guide to setting up WireGuard in a container on Proxmox with a sample Android device configuration.

Assumptions

• Proxmox Version: 6.1-3
  • Container: Ubuntu 18.04
  • Android Phone: Anything compatible with the official WireGuard app.

Proxmox Host

First, we need to make sure the kernel headers are installed for our current kernel. It's a good idea to make sure everything is up to date first, if a new kernel is installed, boot into it prior to installing the headers.

apt update
apt dist-upgrade
apt install pve-headers

Now to install WireGuard. As of this writing WireGuard is packaged in Debian Unstable, so a little work needs to be done before it's available to install. The below will create an unstable apt source list file then create an apt preference file to limit automatic installation from this repo. More info about this is available on the Debian Wiki: WireGuard and AptConfiguration

echo "deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ unstable main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/unstable-wireguard.list
printf 'Package: *\nPin: release a=unstable\nPin-Priority: 90\n' > /etc/apt/preferences.d/limit-unstable

Now we can install WireGuard and enable the kernel module. We also need to add WireGuard to modules.conf so that it will be forced to load at boot time. This is required as the host isn't aware of the container at boot time and won't know to load the module automatically.

apt install wireguard
modprobe wireguard
echo "wireguard" >> /etc/modules-load.d/modules.conf

Finally, we need to enable packet forwarding. To do this edit /etc/sysctl.conf and uncomment the needed line. Then we'll enable it with the sysctl command.

vim /etc/sysctl.conf
#net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 # This is the default, uncomment to match below.
net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

That's it for the host, on to the container.

LXC

Setting up an LXC container is a simple process and many distributions and versions are available, so I'm going to assume you already have one of your preference ready to go. I chose Ubuntu 18.04 because I had a template ready to quickly clone. Here is a link to the WireGuard install page with instructions for all other operating systems. The key difference to keep in mind is that since we're installing into a container that uses the host's kernel, we only need to install the user-space tools and not the kernel module itself.

apt update
apt install software-properties-common
add-apt-repository ppa:wireguard/wireguard
apt install --no-install-recommends wireguard-tools

That should take care of the installation, on to the configuration.

Simple WireGuard VPN Configuration

If you're not familiar with WireGuard, I recommend going here and reading through the conceptual overview to get more background on what's being done here. That said, you should be able to copy these configuration files, substitute values where needed and have a working installation.

The first thing we need to do is create encryption keys for both the container and each device we want to connect. Normally this would be done on each device individually but, since we're going to use qrencode to generate a QR code from the configuration data for the Android app, we'll create the configuration for both the container and phone alongside each other in the container. For other devices, like a laptop or a remote computer, the configuration and encryption key generation should be done on the device itself.

Let's move into the /etc/wireguard directory, creating it if necessary, and generate key pairs for both the server and the phone. Note that we are using umask here to ensure the proper directory permissions are set prior to key generation.

cd /etc/wireguard/
umask 077
wg genkey | tee server-privatekey | wg pubkey > server-publickey
wg genkey | tee android-privatekey | wg pubkey > android-publickey

Next, let's create a configuration file for the server. Using your favorite editor create a file for the interface configuration. By convention, as this is our first WireGuard interface, we'll call the file wg0.conf. The interface needs to be on a different subnet than the host to avoid conflicts, for simplicity here I've chosen 192.168.2.1/24 as the host in this example is on the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet. The entries for private and public keys need to be substituted with the contents of the previously created key files. The default ListenPort of 51820 can be changed to your choosing, just make sure the Endpoint entry in the next step reflects this. Also, note the interface name used in the PostUp and PostDown entries, here it is eth0 but if yours differs (check by running ip addr) change it accordingly.

vim wg0.conf
[Interface]
Address = 192.168.2.1/24
PrivateKey = <server-privatekey file contents>
ListenPort = 51820
PostUp = iptables -A FORWARD -i %i -j ACCEPT; iptables -A FORWARD -o %i -j ACCEPT; iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
PostDown = iptables -D FORWARD -i %i -j ACCEPT; iptables -D FORWARD -o %i -j ACCEPT; iptables -t nat -D POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

[Peer]
PublicKey = <android-publickey file contents>
AllowedIPs = 192.168.2.2/32

Now we need to create a configuration file for the Android phone. You'll need your server's IP address here for the Endpoint entry and make sure the ListenPort chosen earlier matches here. The DNS entry can be inside the local network or outside. Again the entries for private and public keys need to be substituted with the contents of the previously created key files. The PersistentKeepalive entry is helpful if you're behind NAT and need to keep the connection alive, 25 is the recommended value.

vim android.conf
[Interface]
PrivateKey = <android-privatekey file contents>
Address = 192.168.2.2/24
DNS = 192.168.1.1

[Peer]
PublicKey = <server-publickey file contents>
Endpoint = <server-ip>:51820
AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0, ::/0
PersistentKeepalive = 25

Finally, lets ensure proper permissions are set for the WireGuard directory, enable and start the service, then create the QR code we need to transfer the configuration over to the phone.

chown -R root:root /etc/wireguard
chmod -R og-rwx /etc/wireguard
systemctl enable wg-quick@wg0.service
systemctl start wg-quick@wg0.service
apt install qrencode
qrencode -t ansiutf8 < android.conf

After this last step, you should have a QR code displayed in your terminal. If you haven't already, install the official WireGuard Android app from either the Google Play Store or F-Droid. The app is very simple to use and you should only have to open the plus menu on the bottom right, choose ‘create from QR code’, and scan the code. You will be allowed to name the connection and then enable it. If all went well you'll now have a VPN setup that routes all traffic from your phone through the LXC and your local LAN should be accessible. Hope this was helpful, happy tunneling!

Feel free to send me an email with any questions, comments, or requests and if you're feeling generous, help keep me caffeinated.

Afficher l’article complet

Archivé

Ce sujet est désormais archivé et ne peut plus recevoir de nouvelles réponses.

• Créer...

Information importante

Nous avons placé des cookies sur votre appareil pour aider à améliorer ce site. Vous pouvez choisir d’ajuster vos paramètres de cookie, sinon nous supposerons que vous êtes d’accord pour continuer.