8th August 2013, 09:14 PM

-

OP

Thanks Meter

0.jpg

Flag

Carrier

DefaultKobo Arc Development

So I was randomly flying around on Google today, and I noticed that someone had claimed to root the Kobo Arc, and gave written instructions here -- http : // www . mobileread . com / forums / showthread.php?p=2584491 (Remove the spaces, XDA won't let me post an actual link, since I don't have 10 posts yet). After running through this myself, I went on the Google Play store and used root checker. Much to my surprise, it worked, and my device now has root access. I even tested with Root Explorer, and mounted the system partition as R/W, and I can move things in and out of it. I'm currently working on trying to get a custom ROM working, but I'm worried that I will cause a brick, since Cyanogen doesn't support the Arc. (yet...)

The Following User Says Thank You to ThunderBird2678 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
yellowArrowRight.png
Old

10th August 2013, 07:01 AM

(Last edited by dazza9075; 16th August 2013 at 11:14 AM.) Reason: buggered up the link and sent you to a happy bday mesage! :)

Recognized Contributor

Thanks Meter

4.jpg
star.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gifstar.gif

Flag

Carrier

DONATE TO ME

Quote:

Originally Posted by

ThunderBird2678View Post

So I was randomly flying around on Google today, and I noticed that someone had claimed to root the Kobo Arc, and gave written instructions here -- http : // www . mobileread . com / forums / showthread.php?p=2584491 (Remove the spaces, XDA won't let me post an actual link, since I don't have 10 posts yet). After running through this myself, I went on the Google Play store and used root checker. Much to my surprise, it worked, and my device now has root access. I even tested with Root Explorer, and mounted the system partition as R/W, and I can move things in and out of it. I'm currently working on trying to get a custom ROM working, but I'm worried that I will cause a brick, since Cyanogen doesn't support the Arc. (yet...)

confirmed, was just going to post this but was beaten to it.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218928

ive attached the file but please go to that website and pay homage to whoever did this work...now to the next stop, a ROM biggrin.gif

Device now has a working custom recovery see post 15

Sent from my Arc using xda app-developers app

Please Click

Thanksbelow

if I've helped at all, but more importantly please donate to XDA Developers to help keep this place running, 10 Euros isn't much and for that you get to have a funky wee Star

cool.gif
Please click Here to donate to

XDA-Developers

Old

10th August 2013, 12:59 PM

Recognized Contributor

Thanks Meter

4.jpg

Flag

Carrier

DONATE TO ME

Quote:

Originally Posted by

dazza9075View Post

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218928

In terms of a ROM do we not need a compatible boot loader that will allow unsigned ROMs?

ive attached the file but please go to that website and pay homage to whoever did this work...now to find a man about a ROM biggrin.gif

i have absolutely no idea what im doing but I think I have dumped 12 partitions using

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 of=/sdcard/p10.img

is there anyone around that fancies a challenge? im in a position where bricking this thing isn't really much of a problem so if someones up for a challenge and wants to help im willing to lend myself and the device to this

Please Click

Thanksbelow

if I've helped at all, but more importantly please donate to XDA Developers to help keep this place running, 10 Euros isn't much and for that you get to have a funky wee Star

cool.gif

XDA-Developers

Old

11th August 2013, 12:38 AM

-

OP

Thanks Meter

0.jpg

Flag

Carrier

DefaultWarning : Block of Text Ahead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by

dazza9075View Post

In terms of a ROM do we not need a compatible boot loader that will allow unsigned ROMs?

ive attached the file but please go to that website and pay homage to whoever did this work...now to find a man about a ROM biggrin.gif

Haha. As soon as I found a thread called "root the Kobo Arc" on Google, I posted it here right away. Sorry if I deprived you of the satisfaction! *troll*

Joking aside, I'm not too sure about the bootloader. I think it's pretty locked down (since I put a nexus 7's cyanogenmod onto the data partition and rebooted. It tried to updated, but said validation failed, or something of that sort). I can't install any custom recoveries either, since I have no idea how to do it in the first place, and there's none made for the Arc.

Also, I analyzed the Arc with the "Droid Examiner" App from the play store (That is a really great app, just so you know), and found that it uses a board called "zeus". The funny thing, though, is that one of Sony's Xperia phones, also has a board called "Zeus", and there's Cyanogenmod for that (albiet not the latest version). However, these two devices have nothing in common. The closest thing to an Arc that has Cyanogenmod is the Nook HD/HD+, which uses the exact same chip (OMAP TI 4470).

If someone is smart enough (not me) to analyze the Cyanogenmod files for the Nook, and see how they work, that may lead into flashing the Arc.

Anyway, I'm resetting the Arc, since I'm having weird cases where the Arc would freeze after booting it from sleep mode, and I'd have to turn it off and on again. I think that was something else I did, since it happened before the root, but neh, I might as well try this all from factory default settings.

Sorry for the block of text, guys!

P.S. Using the stock Jelly Bean boot animation on the Arc looks amazing!laugh.gif

Old

11th August 2013, 06:40 AM

(Last edited by dazza9075; 11th August 2013 at 11:00 AM.)

Recognized Contributor

Thanks Meter

4.jpg

Flag

Carrier

DONATE TO ME

Haha, its cool, like yourself I just happened to Google kobo arc root and for once my googe fu was up to the task and the root appeared

wink.gif

I've been looking at starting my own recovery mod branch but its no simple task by the looks of it, if their are similar devices we can use all their data and tweak it to ours which would help a lot!

Oh I think we have fast boot, I held vol down and pushed power on, it just sat at the kobo arc screen, I used the nexus 7 driver from the universal adb/fastboot driver I found on here and it connected up http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2263822

I stumbled on some to good to be true program on Xda dev that apparently can root anything and unlock any bootloader once your in fastboot mode. I have tried that part and it said it was successful but i have no idea how to test this out yet, the program does a bunch of other stuff too, the adb stuff worked as did apk sending, and the rooting options knew i was rooted, it also has flashing functions, I'll be damed if I can find it now I'm at home though , I'll have another look.

I don't mind doing leg work but if someone can read the map it would be very helpful!

Edit, found it
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2399385
http://www.mediafire.com/?vwxpq62pa927s9c

Please Click

Thanksbelow

cool.gif

XDA-Developers

Old

11th August 2013, 09:57 PM

-

OP

Thanks Meter

0.jpg

Flag

Carrier

Quote:

Originally Posted by

dazza9075View Post

Haha, its cool, like yourself I just happened to Google kobo arc root and for once my googe fu was up to the task and the root appeared

wink.gif

I've been looking at starting my own recovery mod branch but its no simple task by the looks of it, if their are similar devices we can use all their data and tweak it to ours which would help a lot!

Oh I think we have fast boot, I held vol down and pushed power on, it just sat at the kobo arc screen, I used the nexus 7 driver from the universal adb/fastboot driver I found on here and it connected up http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2263822

I stumbled on some to good to be true program on Xda dev that apparently can root anything and unlock any bootloader once your in fastboot mode. I have tried that part and it said it was successful but i have no idea how to test this out yet, the program does a bunch of other stuff too, the adb stuff worked as did apk sending, and the rooting options knew i was rooted, it also has flashing functions, I'll be damed if I can find it now I'm at home though , I'll have another look.

I don't mind doing leg work but if someone can read the map it would be very helpful!

Edit, found it
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2399385
http://www.mediafire.com/?vwxpq62pa927s9c

Um... Okay. I've installed the drivers (I think I installed them correctly), and I booted my device using "volume down + power". I have it connected to my System, but whenever I try to use one of the options in the Android Root Toolkit, it tells me it's waiting for the device. I don't know what I did wrong, but something's clearly not working.

As far as the recovery goes, I think that looking at the Nook Tablet from TWRP would work quite nicely. It runs on a similar processor ( I believe it's a OMAP TI 4430 ), and it seems to be quite similar in specs to the Arc. If only I was a bit better at programming...

The Following User Says Thank You to ThunderBird2678 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
yellowArrowRight.png
Old

11th August 2013, 10:25 PM

(Last edited by dazza9075; 14th August 2013 at 09:01 AM.)

Recognized Contributor

Thanks Meter

4.jpg

Flag

Carrier

DONATE TO ME

Quote:

Originally Posted by

ThunderBird2678View Post

Um... Okay. I've installed the drivers (I think I installed them correctly), and I booted my device using "volume down + power". I have it connected to my System, but whenever I try to use one of the options in the Android Root Toolkit, it tells me it's waiting for the device. I don't know what I did wrong, but something's clearly not working.

As far as the recovery goes, I think that looking at the Nook Tablet from TWRP would work quite nicely. It runs on a similar processor ( I believe it's a OMAP TI 4430 ), and it seems to be quite similar in specs to the Arc. If only I was a bit better at programming...

im usig the generic android adb driver and the bootloader driver for fast boot

im dumped all partitions and mapped them all out, see below for file system details

But again I'm blindly stabbing in the dark and most tutorials are a bit lacking in depth or not relevant to the kobo :/

Please Click

Thanksbelow

cool.gif

XDA-Developers

The Following User Says Thank You to dazza9075 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
yellowArrowRight.png
Old

11th August 2013, 10:59 PM

(Last edited by dazza9075; 14th August 2013 at 08:59 AM.)

Recognized Contributor

Thanks Meter

4.jpg

Flag

Carrier

DONATE TO ME

127|root@android:/ # blkid
/dev/block/dm-2: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/block/dm-1: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/block/dm-0: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/block/mmcblk0p12: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/block/mmcblk0p11: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/block/mmcblk0p10: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/block/mmcblk0p4: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
root@android:/ #

Please Click

Thanksbelow

cool.gif

XDA-Developers

Old

12th August 2013, 04:15 AM

-

OP

Thanks Meter

0.jpg

Flag

Carrier

Okay, so I can't even push apps to the Arc using ADB. I think you have to boot into recovery (power + volume up). I don't know how to use the terminal at all (I'm lost, I know D: ), so I don't have that installed on the Arc. I remember being able to do ADB even with my Sony Reader (First gen, PRST1), so I'm not sure why the Arc isn't quite working. I have both drivers installed, BTW.

As for the recovery, I can't even find a method to flash it. I'm still trying everything I can, though. :\

Old

12th August 2013, 06:55 AM

(Last edited by dazza9075; 14th August 2013 at 08:49 AM.)

Recognized Contributor

Thanks Meter

4.jpg

Flag

Carrier

DONATE TO ME

ive mapped out the following partitions and any info ive found about each of them, im not in a position to help at the moment, got a big day at work tomorrow, as mentioned above ive used several tools,

SuperSU,

ROM toolbox pro

busybox

remount

Below is a list of all the available partition names and numbers

/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 xloader
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/xloader
348KB

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 bootloader
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/bootloader
1.50MB

/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 cypto
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/crypto
Completely empty
64KB partition size

/dev/block/mmcblk0p4 EFS
Mounted as /FACTORY
/dev/block/mmcblk0p4:UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/efs /factory ext4 ro,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
20MB

/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 misc
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/misc
Completely empty
128KB partition size

/dev/block/mmcblk0p6 Bootlogo
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/bootlogo
Contains kobo arc picture
4MB partition size

/dev/block/mmcblk0p7 Logos
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/logos
contains the battery charge logo
28MB partition size

/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 recovery
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery
data contains a GZ file, when decompressed we get a 8.5MB file of unknown type, exact same as in boot
5MB of data
16MB partition size

/dev/block/mmcblk0p9 boot
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot
data contains a GZ file, when decompressed we get a 8.5MB file of unknown type, exact same as n recovery
4.5MB of data
8MB partition size

/dev/block/mmcblk0p10 CACHE
Mounted as /CACHE
/dev/block/mmcblk0p10: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/cache /cache ext4
rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,errors=panic,barrier=1,nom blk_io_submit,data=ordered 0
768MB partition size

/dev/block/mmcblk0p11 SYSTEM
Mounted as /SYSTEM
/dev/block/mmcblk0p11: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system /system ext4
rw,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered 0 0
910MB partition size

/dev/block/mmcblk0p12 USERDATA
Mounted as /DATA
/dev/block/mmcblk0p12: UUID="57f8f4bc-abf4-655f-bf67-946fc0f9f25b" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/userdata /data ext4
rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,errors=panic,barrier=1,nom blk_io_submit,data=ordered 0
12GB partition size

Please Click

Thanksbelow

cool.gif

XDA-Developers

Afficher l’article complet

Archivé

Ce sujet est désormais archivé et ne peut plus recevoir de nouvelles réponses.

• Créer...

Information importante

Nous avons placé des cookies sur votre appareil pour aider à améliorer ce site. Vous pouvez choisir d’ajuster vos paramètres de cookie, sinon nous supposerons que vous êtes d’accord pour continuer.